17 Nov 2016
Dr. Anna’s 2017 Healthy Holiday Survival Guide
If you’re at the point in your life where your hormones are playing tricks on you, the holiday season can spell disaster. Navigating holiday parties or the Christmas cookie dumping ground in the office break room can feel like walking through a minefield for those of us who are trying to manage hormone imbalances with clean eating and good behavior.
It doesn’t have to be this way!
The key to success lies in consciously paying attention to what you’re choosing instead of defaulting to sugar-fueled autopilot mode.
If you’re ready to have a different holiday experience this year, here are 7 steps that will help you sail right past the egg nog bowl:
1. Eat before you head out to a party. That way you’ll be less tempted to graze through all the “nervous food” (as my friend Christine calls it).
2. If you’re drinking alcohol, alternate alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. You’re less likely to become “overserved.” Drinking too much is also likely to lower your resolve to stay away from the nervous food. Not to mention that it contributes greatly to weight gain and estrogen dominance.
3. Keep up with your exercise plan. This is the one thing that may keep you sane and grounded. Make sure it is scheduled on your calendar!
4. Enjoy a treat or two, but be selective. Most of the foods you’re going to be tempted by are NOT things you’ve never tasted before, right?
So, decide which treats are REALLY worth the calories (like my mom’s sugar cookies) and skip the ones that aren’t.
5. Drink up. Make sure you’re drinking enough water. Indoor heat is drying and it’s easy to become dehydrated. Thirst can often masquerade as hunger, so keeping up hydration can help you eat less.
6. Sleep! It’s tempting to say yes to every invitation that arrives. This only leads to exhaustion, higher cortisol levels and weight gain. Make sleep a priority and you’ll reap the benefits of increased energy and enjoyment of the holidays.
7. Cut yourself some slack. The holidays are stressful enough without adding in a big dose of perfectionism or guilt. Do the best you can, but above all…have FUN!
Even if you follow these guidelines, you may want to hit the reset button on your health once the holidays are over. My Fit, Fabulous and Fierce over 40 program can help you do just that! Please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to know more.
Dr. Anna Garrett is a menopause expert and Doctor of Pharmacy. She helps women who are struggling with symptoms of perimenopause and menopause find natural hormone balancing solutions so they can rock their mojo through midlife and beyond. Her clients would tell you that her real gift is helping them reclaim parts of themselves they thought were gone forever.
Find out more about working with her at https://www.drannagarrett.com/work-with-me/.