17 Dec 2015
How to Kick Sugar Cravings
Here’s the not-so-sweet truth. We are killings ourselves by consuming truckloads of hidden sugar. Turns out that it’s not fat that’s the bad actor; it’s sugar that’s making us sick and overweight.
Sugar is eight times as addictive as cocaine. Being addicted to sugar and flour is not an emotional eating disorder. It’s a biological disorder, driven by hormones and neurotransmitters that fuel sugar and carb cravings.
Need Help with Cravings?
If you’re ready to kick the sugar habit, but need more help managing cravings, supplements can be helpful. Here are several I commonly recommend:
- Chromium picolinate is an excellent option for supporting insulin regulation and blood sugar. This is the product I recommend for my weight loss clients. It’s willpower in a bottle!
- Be sure your multivitamin includes zinc, vitamin C, and B-vitamins.
- It’s also important to take an omega-3 supplement. The omega-3s in fish oil can help with cravings and inflammation as well as improving insulin sensitivity.
- L-glutamine is a great craving-buster! Take 500 mg 3 times a day or open the capsule and sprinkle under your tongue for a faster effect.
- Supplement with magnesium. Start with 400 mg of magnesium citrate or magnesium glycinate. This also helps with sleep, so take it at bedtime.
Once you give up sugar, cravings should disappear within 2 weeks or so. This varies by person, of course. Resist the urge to substitute artificial sweeteners for sugar. They are 100 times as sweet as real sugar. When you eat something artificially sweetened, your brain is expecting calories to be coming that match the sweetness it has just encountered. When this doesn’t happen, it goes looking for those calories! This increases the likelihood that you’ll have an uncontrollable urge for some Twinkies (or other food you’re trying to avoid). Bottom line: the plan backfires.
And remember to eat plenty of protein, fiber and healthy fat. All of these help stave off cravings.
If you want to learn more about the role of hormones, foods and mindset as they relate to midlife weight loss, please join me for Cracking the Midlife Weight Loss Code: 3 Steps to Stop the Diet Yoyo Forever. It’s happening TODAY at noon EST. Register here: www.drannagarrett.com/freewebinar.
About Dr. Anna
Dr. Anna Garrett is a pharmacist and menopause expert who helps women who are struggling with symptoms of perimenopause and menopause find natural hormone balancing solutions so they can rock their mojo through midlife and beyond. But her clients would tell you that her real gift is helping them reclaim pieces of themselves they thought were gone forever.
Dr. Anna offers a complimentary 30-minute Get Acquainted Call to anyone who’d like to learn more about working 1-1 with her. You can schedule that at your convenience by clicking here.